Answer / rani
1. What does static variable mean?
2. What is a pointer?
3. What is a structure?
4. What are the differences between structures and arrays?
5. In header files whether functions are declared or defined?
6. What are the differences between malloc() and calloc()?
7. What are macros? what are its advantages and disadvantages?
8. Difference between pass by reference and pass by value?
9. What is static identifier?
10. Where are the auto variables stored?
11. Where does global, static, local, register variables, free memory and
C Program instructions get stored?
12. Difference between arrays and linked list?
13. What are enumerations?
14. Describe about storage allocation and scope of global, extern, static,
local and register variables?
15. What are register variables? What are the advantage of using register
16. What is the use of typedef?
17. Can we specify variable field width in a scanf() format string? If
18. Out of fgets() and gets() which function is safe to use and why?
19. Difference between strdup and strcpy?
20. What is recursion?
21. Differentiate between a for loop and a while loop? What are it uses?
22. What are the different storage classes in C?
23. Write down the equivalent pointer _expression for referring the same
24. What is difference between Structure and Unions?
25. What the advantages of using Unions?
26. What are the advantages of using pointers in a program?
27. What is the difference between Strings and Arrays?
28. In a header file whether functions are declared or defined?
29. What is a far pointer? where we use it?
30. How will you declare an array of three function pointers where each
function receives two ints and returns a float?
31. what is a NULL Pointer? Whether it is same as an uninitialized pointer?
32. What is a NULL Macro? What is the difference between a NULL Pointer
and a NULL Macro?
33. What does the error 'Null Pointer Assignment' mean and what causes
34. What is near, far and huge pointers? How many bytes are occupied by
35. How would you obtain segment and offset addresses from a far address
of a memory location?
36. Are the expressions arr and &arr same for an array of integers?
37. Does mentioning the array name gives the base address in all the
38. Explain one method to process an entire string as one unit?
39. What is the similarity between a Structure, Union and enumeration?
40. Can a Structure contain a Pointer to itself?
41. How can we check whether the contents of two structure variables are
same or not?
42. How are Structure passing and returning implemented by the complier?
43. How can we read/write Structures from/to data files?
44. What is the difference between an enumeration and a set of pre-
processor # defines?
45. what do the 'c' and 'v' in argc and argv stand for?
46. Are the variables argc and argv are local to main?
47. What is the maximum combined length of command line arguments
including the space between adjacent arguments?
48. If we want that any wildcard characters in the command line arguments
should be appropriately expanded, are we required to make any special
provision? If yes, which?
49. Does there exist any way to make the command line arguments available
to other functions without passing them as arguments to the function?
50. What are bit fields? What is the use of bit fields in a Structure
51. To which numbering system can the binary number 1101100100111100 be
easily converted to?
52. Which bit wise operator is suitable for checking whether a particular
bit is on or off?
53. Which bit wise operator is suitable for turning off a particular bit
in a number?
54. Which bit wise operator is suitable for putting on a particular bit in
55. Which bit wise operator is suitable for checking whether a particular
bit is on or off?
56. which one is equivalent to multiplying by 2:Left shifting a number by
1 or Left shifting an unsigned int or char by 1?
57. Write a program to compare two strings without using the strcmp()
58. Write a program to concatenate two strings.
59. Write a program to interchange 2 variables without using the third one.
60. Write programs for String Reversal & Palindrome check
61. Write a program to find the Factorial of a number
62. Write a program to generate the Fibinocci Series
63. Write a program which employs Recursion
64. Write a program which uses Command Line Arguments
65. Write a program which uses functions like strcmp(), strcpy()? etc
66. What are the advantages of using typedef in a program?
67. How would you dynamically allocate a one-dimensional and two-
dimensional array of integers?
68. How can you increase the size of a dynamically allocated array?
69. How can you increase the size of a statically allocated array?
70. When reallocating memory if any other pointers point into the same
piece of memory do you have to readjust these other pointers or do they
get readjusted automatically?
71. Which function should be used to free the memory allocated by calloc()?
72. How much maximum can you allocate in a single call to malloc()?
73. Can you dynamically allocate arrays in expanded memory?
74. What is object file? How can you access object file?
75. Which header file should you include if you are to develop a function
which can accept variable number of arguments?
76. Can you write a function similar to printf()?
77. How can a called function determine the number of arguments that have
been passed to it?
78. Can there be at least some solution to determine the number of
arguments passed to a variable argument list function?
79. How do you declare the following:
* An array of three pointers to chars
* An array of three char pointers
* A pointer to array of three chars
* A pointer to function which receives an int pointer and returns a float
* A pointer to a function which receives nothing and returns nothing
80. What do the functions atoi(), itoa() and gcvt() do?
81. Does there exist any other function which can be used to convert an
integer or a float to a string?
82. How would you use qsort() function to sort an array of structures?
83. How would you use qsort() function to sort the name stored in an array
of pointers to string?
84. How would you use bsearch() function to search a name stored in array
of pointers to string?
85. How would you use the functions sin(), pow(), sqrt()?
86. How would you use the functions memcpy(), memset(), memmove()?
87. How would you use the functions fseek(), freed(), fwrite() and ftell()?
88. How would you obtain the current time and difference between two times?
89. How would you use the functions randomize() and random()?
90. How would you implement a substr() function that extracts a sub string
from a given string?
91. What is the difference between the functions rand(), random(), srand()
92. What is the difference between the functions memmove() and memcpy()?
93. How do you print a string on the printer?
94. Can you use the function fprintf() to display the output on the screen?
1. What is a class?
2. What is an object?
3. What is the difference between an object and a class?
4. What is the difference between class and structure?
5. What is public, protected, private?
6. What are virtual functions?
7. What is friend function?
8. What is a scope resolution operator?
9. What do you mean by inheritance?
10. What is abstraction?
11. What is polymorphism? Explain with an example.
12. What is encapsulation?
13. What do you mean by binding of data and functions?
14. What is function overloading and operator overloading?
15. What is virtual class and friend class?
16. What do you mean by inline function?
17. What do you mean by public, private, protected and friendly?
18. When is an object created and what is its lifetime?
19. What do you mean by multiple inheritance and multilevel inheritance?
Differentiate between them.
20. Difference between realloc() and free?
21. What is a template?
22. What are the main differences between procedure oriented languages and
object oriented languages?
23. What is R T T I ?
24. What are generic functions and generic classes?
25. What is namespace?
26. What is the difference between pass by reference and pass by value?
27. Why do we use virtual functions?
28. What do you mean by pure virtual functions?
29. What are virtual classes?
30. Does c++ support multilevel and multiple inheritance?
31. What are the advantages of inheritance?
32. When is a memory allocated to a class?
33. What is the difference between declaration and definition?
34. What is virtual constructors/destructors?
35. In c++ there is only virtual destructors, no constructors. Why?
36. What is late bound function call and early bound function call?
37. How is exception handling carried out in c++?
38. When will a constructor executed?
39. What is Dynamic Polymorphism?
40. Write a macro for swapping integers.
DATA STRUCTURE QUESTIONS
1. What is a data structure?
2. What does abstract data type means?
3. Evaluate the following prefix _expression " ++ 26 + - 1324" (Similar
types can be asked)
4. Convert the following infix _expression to post fix notation ((a+2)*
(b+4)) -1 (Similar types can be asked)
5. How is it possible to insert different type of elements in stack?
6. Stack can be described as a pointer. Explain.
7. Write a Binary Search program
8. Write programs for Bubble Sort, Quick sort
9. Explain about the types of linked lists
10. How would you sort a linked list?
11. Write the programs for Linked List (Insertion and Deletion) operations
12. What data structure would you mostly likely see in a non recursive
implementation of a recursive algorithm?
13. What do you mean by Base case, Recursive case, Binding Time, Run-Time
Stack and Tail Recursion?
14. Explain quick sort and merge sort algorithms and derive the time-
constraint relation for these.
15. Explain binary searching, Fibinocci search.
16. What is the maximum total number of nodes in a tree that has N levels?
Note that the root is level (zero)
17. How many different binary trees and binary search trees can be made
from three nodes that contain the key values 1, 2 & 3?
18. A list is ordered from smaller to largest when a sort is called. Which
sort would take the longest time to execute?
19. A list is ordered from smaller to largest when a sort is called. Which
sort would take the shortest time to execute?
20. When will you sort an array of pointers to list elements, rather than
sorting the elements themselves?
21. The element being searched for is not found in an array of 100
elements. What is the average number of comparisons needed in a sequential
search to determine that the element is not there, if the elements are
22. What is the average number of comparisons needed in a sequential
search to determine the position of an element in an array of 100
elements, if the elements are ordered from largest to smallest?
23. Which sort show the best average behavior?
24. What is the average number of comparisons in a sequential search?
25. Which data structure is needed to convert infix notations to post fix
26. What do you mean by:
* Syntax Error
* Logical Error
* Runtime Error
How can you correct these errors?
27. In which data structure, elements can be added or removed at either
end, but not in the middle?
28. How will inorder, preorder and postorder traversals print the elements
of a tree?
29. Parenthesis are never needed in prefix or postfix expressions. Why?
30. Which one is faster? A binary search of an orderd set of elements in
an array or a sequential search of
|Is This Answer Correct ?||3 Yes||1 No|
Drdo Placement Paper of WrittenTest 2006
IBM PLACEMENT PAPERS ------ IBM placement Paper 1
for system administrator
CTS placement papers -------- placement paper 5
pls give me sample interview questions asked by tcs
I-Gate Interview Experience 06/05/2007 (Cochin)
NIC latest paper with number of questions
Rlogical Placement Paper
NOVELL PLACEMENT PAPERS -------- Placement Paper 3
TISL PLACEMENT PAPERS -------------- Placement Paper 8
My Interview with CTS on 25 january 2007 Secunderabad.