There are 8 stones which are similar except one which is
heavier than the others. To find it, you are given a pan
balance. What is the minimal number of weighing needed to
find out the heaviest stone ?

Answers were Sorted based on User's Feedback

There are 8 stones which are similar except one which is heavier than the others. To find it, you ..

Answer / siddhartha

@Monu, even if 9 stones are there, only two weighings are
required...
In general, in n weighings, you can determine the heavier
stone out of 3^n stones...
If 9 stones are there...
3---3---3
weigh the first two... if one is heavy, take that group,
else take the third group of three...
In this group of three thus taken, weigh any two. If any of
them if heavy, that is the stone.
Else the remaining one stone is the heavier one... :)

Is This Answer Correct ?    2 Yes 0 No

There are 8 stones which are similar except one which is heavier than the others. To find it, you ..

Answer / vijayaraj

monu ...you r wrong. There 8 stones. out of which one is
heavier.
2 times needed. divide 3,3,2 is correct.

Is This Answer Correct ?    0 Yes 0 No

Answer / debaroon

Urmila,Vamsee,Vishwa or any one can give the answer with
clear justification in details.

Is This Answer Correct ?    1 Yes 2 No

Answer / monu

idiots...........
read the question properly

is says that there are 8 stones with similar weight
EXCEPT 1 i.e. total 9 stones are there.....

now divide 4 on each side.That makes it 8
reamining 1 which is heavier then others...

so....minimum weight required on both the side is 4..

got it..........

Is This Answer Correct ?    0 Yes 1 No

Answer / kiru, chennai

minimum weighing needed 3,

Is This Answer Correct ?    1 Yes 4 No

Answer / shilpa

divide the stones into 4 and 4, weight it find which is
heavy. Consider which is high weighted and then again
divide those stones into 2 and 2, weight it find which is
hevy. consider which is high in weight and weigh the
remaining 2 weights and thus highest weighed is found. Thus
Answer is 3.

Is This Answer Correct ?    2 Yes 5 No

Answer / sanat

the right answer is 3

first divide the stones into 2parts 4 4
then see which one is heavier

then divide the heavier part into two parts 2 2

then measure the two stones of heavier part

Is This Answer Correct ?    2 Yes 7 No

Answer / dummi

Is This Answer Correct ?    1 Yes 8 No

Answer / kiru, chennai

minimum no of steps required:3
answer:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
take 1,2&3,4
if both are equal move on to next
take 3,4&5,6
if both are equal move on next
take 6&7
if both are equal 8is the heavier one
else 7 is the heavier one
else
take 4 & 5
if both are equal
6 is the heavier on
else
5 is the heavier
else
take 2 & 5
if both are equal
1 is the heaveier one
else
2 is the heavier one

Is This Answer Correct ?    0 Yes 9 No

Post New Answer

More Puzzles Interview Questions

In how many iterations can we find one coin that is heavier than the others out of 8 coins?and how ?please reply

6 Answers   Symphony,

sir i need catholic syrian bank previous question papers fully. it will be helpful for me to greater extend .please do the needful to me.

0 Answers  

A frog starts climbing 15 feet wall. Each hour he climbs 3 feet and rests for 30 minutes. During rest, he slips back 2 feet. How many hours does the frog take to reach the top?

13 Answers  

A husband and wife have a combined age of 91. The husband is now twice as old as his wife was when he was as old as she is now. How old is wife?

8 Answers   TCS, Wipro,

Three friends went to hotel for breakfast . After having breakfast total bill was Rs 25 . Each one contributed Rs 10. So total was Rs 30 . 30 is paid. waiter gave Rs 5 back to them . Three friend gave Rs 2 tips to waiter . From remaining Rs 3 each one took one rupee. As each one contributed ten . And each friend recieved one rupee back. Means each one had breakfast in nine rupee. So three friend had breakfast in 9+9+9=27. And Rs 2 is given to tips to waiter. So total money for breakfast for three friend was 27+2=29. Where is remaining one rupee?

5 Answers   IIT,

Four prisoners escape from a prison. The prisoners, Mr. East, Mr. West, Mr. South, Mr. North head towards different directions after escaping. The following information of their escape was supplied: ? The escape routes were North Road, South Road, East Road and West Road ? None of the prisoners took the road which was their namesake ? Mr. East did not take the South Road ? Mr.West did not the South Road ? The West Road was not taken by Mr. East What road did each of the prisoners take to make their escape

2 Answers   Infosys,

A cube painted on all six sides by red color is divided into 125 equal cubes find i) number of cubes having a)3 faces colored b)2 faces colored c) 1 face colored d)0 faces colored ii)Find probability of picking a cube having red face

6 Answers   Infosys,

To move a safe, two cylindrical steel bars 7 cms in diameter are used as rollers. How far will the safe move forward when the rollers have made one revolution?

9 Answers   IBM,

rich man keeps me in pocket, poor men throws me away, children eat me, am a tamil word _u_ _e_ _l

9 Answers   Adama Agricultural Solutions, Infosys, Mannar Company, Wipro,

John lives in "Friends Society" where all the houses are in a row and are numbered sequentially starting from 1. His house number is 109. Jessy lives in the same society. All the house numbers on the left side of Jessy's house add up exactly the same as all the house numbers on the right side of her house. What is the number of Jessy's house? Find the minimal possible answer.

1 Answers  

An ant had to travel from one corner of a room to diagonally opposite corner. It can walk on walls, floor and roof only. How will you find the shortest path for this ant ?

9 Answers   Analog Devices, Cadence, TCS, ZS Associates,

I have two coins for 75 paise.1 coin is not 50 paise, how?

41 Answers   HCL, Infosys, KI, SNS International,

Categories