why the kernel panic error was appering?
Answers were Sorted based on User's Feedback
Answer / ratnakar padhy
(1)Suppose any problem in initrd file then kernel panic
(2)Any file system problem or any change or remove file system
then showing the kernel panic error
|Is This Answer Correct ?||33 Yes||0 No|
Answer / aakash mishra
this error is just due to prblem in grub.conf and or system
is unable to root filesystem. if the prob is due ti
grub.conf go in resue mode and open grub.conf which reside
in /boot/grub/grub.conf and make the entry given below!
title Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (2.6.18-53.el5)
kernel /vmlinuz-<version> ro root=<root mount drive
ie. /dev/hda2> rhgb quiet
you can check your root mount drive by e2label utility!
#e2label /dev/sdan , where n is the no of ur partition.
|Is This Answer Correct ?||25 Yes||3 No|
Answer / sujit
Kernel panic error occurs when a Linux OS files may missing
|Is This Answer Correct ?||39 Yes||20 No|
Answer / naresh
majority ther problem is with the grub.conf file and the
when grub.conf is corrupt it will not be able to find the
1) kernel loader (vmlinuz.2.6....
2) inital ram disk (initrd.2.6......img
OR .. it will not able to read the /boot directory
incase grub is correct and fstab entry is wrong in / section
or /boot section it will give the error
|Is This Answer Correct ?||13 Yes||1 No|
Answer / merit shyni
A kernel panic is an action taken by an operating system
upon detecting an internal fatal error from which it cannot
safely recover. Attempts by the operating system to read an
invalid or non-permitted memory address are a common source
of kernel panics. A panic may also occur as a result of a
hardware failure or a bug in the operating system.
|Is This Answer Correct ?||12 Yes||2 No|
Answer / mcmarc
kernel panic error occurs when the system cannot boot the
machine due to some fatal errors, it might be with the
hardware or software.
|Is This Answer Correct ?||15 Yes||7 No|
Answer / senthil
major issue is memory problem
and and size exceed the the limit of the / partition
|Is This Answer Correct ?||8 Yes||5 No|
Answer / anil more
There are various reason for kernel panic error.
1) if any file missing or corrupt from /etc/inittab file
then get this error.
2) if any problem in grub.conf
|Is This Answer Correct ?||1 Yes||0 No|
how to configure sendmail server on red hat linux version 4 and what and all we Require?
if one of the critical section code (linked list) is under ISR & another one in kernel thread ? How you will synchronize for this critical section code ?
what happens when we do insmod & rmmod in Linux Device Drivers ?
what are the different ways the Linux can swich from User Space to Kernel Space & vice-versa ?
how to create a ftp user on redhat linux 4.0?
diff b/w spinlock, seamaphores and mutex and where to use it.
1. Where the History file can be located? 2. How will you harden the server? 3. Diff between Raid 1 and Raid 5? 4. What is the largest disk size can be used in LVM? 5. How will you remove a PV from lvm without any data loss? 6. What is the diff between ext3 and ext2 File system? 7. How we can use resize2fs, what is the purpose? 8. What is the purpose of LVM? Why it is used? 9. If the FS is in read-only mode, so we cannot create any file. How will you fix it? 10. How to create swap partition after OS installation? 11. What is the diff between ssh and telnet? 12. How to find out the dependency required for a package?
what are the backup utilites on red hat linux 4.0?
how to configure ftp server on redhat linux?
what are Softirq's and how many major numbers be allocated in the linux kernel(2.4) ?
I would like to know whether Simado and Setu products are they EPBX or not ?
What are system calls used for process management in linux?