General Knowledge & Current Affairs ? May 2005
Answer / debadas_orissa
1. Who among the following is the author of ?Open Secrets ?
Indian Intelligence Unveiled? ?
(a) M. K. Dhar
(b) E. S. Lakshmi Narasimhan
(c) A. K. Deval
(d) M. K.Narayan
Ans: ( a ) M. K. Dhar
2. Which of the following is the 21st member to join the G-20 ?
Ans: ( d ) Uruguay
3. According to the revised data released by Central
Statistical Organisation (CSO) in January 2005, India?s GDP
growth during 2003-04 was
Ans: ( c ) 8.5%
4. According to the recommendations of the 12th Finance
Commission and accepted by Union Cabinet, the States? share
in taxes and duties collected by the Centre would be
Ans: ( b ) 30.5%
5. Which of the following companies plans to produce
people?s car worth Rs. 1 lakh in 3 years ?
(a) Maruti Udyog Ltd.
Ans: ( b ) Tatas
6. In which of he following major Rock Edicts built by him,
Asoka expressed remorse after Kalinga war ?
(a) Major Rock Edict XIII
(b) Major Rock Edict XIV
(c) Major Rock Edict IX
(d) Major Rock Edict X
Ans: ( a ) Major Rock Edict XIII
7. Which one of the following is not a direct tax ?
(a) Income Tax
(b) Excise Duty
(c) Corporation Tax
(d) Gift Tax
Ans: ( b ) Excise Duty
8. What does ?Gold-edged Market? mean ?
(a) Market of auctioned goods
(b) Market of smuggled goods
(c) Market in government securities
(d) None of these
Ans: ( c ) Market in government securities
9. The minimum price of a particular commodity announced by
the Government to protect the interests of farmers is called
(a) Minimum Support Price
(b) Protection Price
(c) Procurement Price
(d) None of these
Ans: ( a ) Minimum Support Price
10. Who among the following has been named as 2004 FIFA
World Footballer of the year ?
(a) Ronaldinho (Brazil)
(b) Andriy Shevchenko (Ukraine)
(c) David Backham (UK)
(d) Diego Maradona (Argentina)
Ans: ( a )
11. The 25-year old K. Venkatesh, suffering from incurable
prolonged muscular dystrophy who made the first ever
euthanasia plea to donate organs when alive, belonged to
(c) Tamil Nadu
(d) Andhra Pradesh
Ans: ( d ) Andhra Pradesh
12. Which of the following countries has broken the US
monopoly by launching the first backbone network of the next
generation Internet, CERNET2 ?
Ans: ( c ) China
13. Which of the following countries plans to set up India?s
first silicon chip manufacturing facility at Shamsabad near
Hyderabad with an investment of Rs. 7,200 crore ?
(d) South Korea
Ans: ( d ) South Korea
14. According to the survey released by Transparency
International in December 2004, India has been ranked
??????. In political corruption.
Ans: ( b ) 5th
15. MMS stand for
(a) Multimedia Monitoring Service
(b) Multimedia Messaging Service
(c) Mobile Messaging Service
(d) Mobile Monitoring Service
Ans: ( b ) Multimedia Messaging Service
16. The branch of science that deals with study of insects
Ans: ( b ) Entomology
17. What is the distance in nautical miles up to which the
territorial waters of India extend into the sea ?
Ans: ( b ) 12
18. By which chemical symbol, the element lead is denoted ?
Ans: ( b ) Pb
19. What is the chemical name of laughing gas ?
(a) Silver nitrate
(b) Sodium carbonate
(c) Calcium sulphate
(d) Nitrous oxide
Ans: ( d ) Nitrous oxide
20. Who said the following about Gandhiji : ?Generations to
come, it may be will scarcely believe that such a one as
this ever in flesh and blood walked upon this earth? ?
(a) Jawaharlal Nehru
(b) Sardar patel
(c) Albert Einstein
(d) Leo Tolstoy
Ans: ( c ) Albert Einstein
21. The 2010 Commonwealth Games will be held in
(b) South Africa
Ans: ( d ) India
22. The world?s largest island is Greenland. Which is the
second largest ?
(a) New Guinea
(d) Great Britain
Ans: ( a ) New Guinea
23. On which river bank does New York City lie ?
(a) River Hudson
(b) River St. Lawrence
(c) River Denube
(d) River Hamburg
Ans: ( a ) River Hudson
24. The Delhi Sultan who transferred his capital to
Daulatabad (Maharashtra) was
(b) Razia Sultan
(c) Ala-ud-din Khalji
(d) Ghias-ud-duin Balban
Ans: ( a ) Muhammad-bin-Tughluq
25. VAT is essentially a
(a) Direct Tax
(b) Gift Tax
(c) Sales Tax
(d) Wealth Tax
Ans: ( c ) Sales Tax
|Is This Answer Correct ?||16 Yes||1 No|
Jawahar Rozgar Yojana is a (1) Area Development Programme (2) Anti poverty Programme (3) Functional Development Programme (4) Environmental protection Programme
Which of the following is not a breed of dog? 1 Rottwsiller 2 Plymouth rock 3 Buff mastiff 4 Springer spaniel
Which one of the following posts has been newly created by the UN General Assembly? (1) Secretary ? General (2) Deputy Secretary - General (3) President (4) Vice ? President
How many countries are members of ASEAN? 1 Eleven 2 Twelve 3 Six 4 Ten
Prorogation of Parliament means (1) Dissolution of Parliament (2) Adjournment of Parliament (3) End of a Parliament Session (4) None of the above
Which team won the Ranji Trophy Cricket Championship in 2003? (A) Baroda (B) Mumbai (C) Karnataka (D) Uttar Pradesh
Jhansi Ki Rani is a film directed by 1 A.J.F.Madan 2 Sohrab Modi 3 Himanshu Rai 4 Joseph David
The term ?Punter? is associated with the game of: (a) Golf (b) Polo (c) Bridge (d) Horse Racing
Who were the immediate successors of the imperial Mauryas in Magadha ? (a) Kushanas (b) Pandyas (c) Satvahanas (d) Sungas
In the field of religion, Akbar?s greatest contribution was in his: (a) founding of a new religion (b) expansion of his father?s religion (c) the building of temples and mosques (d) the religious toleration of his administration
Which of the following is a cash crop ? (a) Wheat (b) Rice (c) Maize (d) Sugarcane
Which of the following is not a Unitary feature of the constitution ? a) Appointment of Governors b) Constitution as the main law of land c) Amendment of the Constitution d) Financial dependence of the States