General Knowledge & Current Affairs ? May 2005
Answer / debadas_orissa
1. Who among the following is the author of ?Open Secrets ?
Indian Intelligence Unveiled? ?
(a) M. K. Dhar
(b) E. S. Lakshmi Narasimhan
(c) A. K. Deval
(d) M. K.Narayan
Ans: ( a ) M. K. Dhar
2. Which of the following is the 21st member to join the G-20 ?
Ans: ( d ) Uruguay
3. According to the revised data released by Central
Statistical Organisation (CSO) in January 2005, India?s GDP
growth during 2003-04 was
Ans: ( c ) 8.5%
4. According to the recommendations of the 12th Finance
Commission and accepted by Union Cabinet, the States? share
in taxes and duties collected by the Centre would be
Ans: ( b ) 30.5%
5. Which of the following companies plans to produce
people?s car worth Rs. 1 lakh in 3 years ?
(a) Maruti Udyog Ltd.
Ans: ( b ) Tatas
6. In which of he following major Rock Edicts built by him,
Asoka expressed remorse after Kalinga war ?
(a) Major Rock Edict XIII
(b) Major Rock Edict XIV
(c) Major Rock Edict IX
(d) Major Rock Edict X
Ans: ( a ) Major Rock Edict XIII
7. Which one of the following is not a direct tax ?
(a) Income Tax
(b) Excise Duty
(c) Corporation Tax
(d) Gift Tax
Ans: ( b ) Excise Duty
8. What does ?Gold-edged Market? mean ?
(a) Market of auctioned goods
(b) Market of smuggled goods
(c) Market in government securities
(d) None of these
Ans: ( c ) Market in government securities
9. The minimum price of a particular commodity announced by
the Government to protect the interests of farmers is called
(a) Minimum Support Price
(b) Protection Price
(c) Procurement Price
(d) None of these
Ans: ( a ) Minimum Support Price
10. Who among the following has been named as 2004 FIFA
World Footballer of the year ?
(a) Ronaldinho (Brazil)
(b) Andriy Shevchenko (Ukraine)
(c) David Backham (UK)
(d) Diego Maradona (Argentina)
Ans: ( a )
11. The 25-year old K. Venkatesh, suffering from incurable
prolonged muscular dystrophy who made the first ever
euthanasia plea to donate organs when alive, belonged to
(c) Tamil Nadu
(d) Andhra Pradesh
Ans: ( d ) Andhra Pradesh
12. Which of the following countries has broken the US
monopoly by launching the first backbone network of the next
generation Internet, CERNET2 ?
Ans: ( c ) China
13. Which of the following countries plans to set up India?s
first silicon chip manufacturing facility at Shamsabad near
Hyderabad with an investment of Rs. 7,200 crore ?
(d) South Korea
Ans: ( d ) South Korea
14. According to the survey released by Transparency
International in December 2004, India has been ranked
??????. In political corruption.
Ans: ( b ) 5th
15. MMS stand for
(a) Multimedia Monitoring Service
(b) Multimedia Messaging Service
(c) Mobile Messaging Service
(d) Mobile Monitoring Service
Ans: ( b ) Multimedia Messaging Service
16. The branch of science that deals with study of insects
Ans: ( b ) Entomology
17. What is the distance in nautical miles up to which the
territorial waters of India extend into the sea ?
Ans: ( b ) 12
18. By which chemical symbol, the element lead is denoted ?
Ans: ( b ) Pb
19. What is the chemical name of laughing gas ?
(a) Silver nitrate
(b) Sodium carbonate
(c) Calcium sulphate
(d) Nitrous oxide
Ans: ( d ) Nitrous oxide
20. Who said the following about Gandhiji : ?Generations to
come, it may be will scarcely believe that such a one as
this ever in flesh and blood walked upon this earth? ?
(a) Jawaharlal Nehru
(b) Sardar patel
(c) Albert Einstein
(d) Leo Tolstoy
Ans: ( c ) Albert Einstein
21. The 2010 Commonwealth Games will be held in
(b) South Africa
Ans: ( d ) India
22. The world?s largest island is Greenland. Which is the
second largest ?
(a) New Guinea
(d) Great Britain
Ans: ( a ) New Guinea
23. On which river bank does New York City lie ?
(a) River Hudson
(b) River St. Lawrence
(c) River Denube
(d) River Hamburg
Ans: ( a ) River Hudson
24. The Delhi Sultan who transferred his capital to
Daulatabad (Maharashtra) was
(b) Razia Sultan
(c) Ala-ud-din Khalji
(d) Ghias-ud-duin Balban
Ans: ( a ) Muhammad-bin-Tughluq
25. VAT is essentially a
(a) Direct Tax
(b) Gift Tax
(c) Sales Tax
(d) Wealth Tax
Ans: ( c ) Sales Tax
|Is This Answer Correct ?||16 Yes||1 No|
The Desert Festival, an annual event in Rajasthan that displays local folk arts and culture, aerobatics, camel races, is held at: (a) Jodhpur (b) Jaisalmer (c) Barmer (d) Bikaner
Prince of Wales Cup is associated with the game of : (a) Volleyball (b) Basketball (c) Polo (d) Golf
Which is the largest producer of manganese in India? (a) Rajasthan (b) Bihar (c) West Bengal (d) None of these
Which disease is more common among agricultural workers as compared to urban population ? (a) Lung?s disease (b) Cirrhosis of liver (c) Hookworm infection (d) Cancer
The name of India born British author who was issued a death threat (Fatwa) by ayatollah Khomeini is: (a) Salman Rushdie (b) Pamella Bordes (c) R K Narayan (d) Mira Nayar
A chemical reaction that takes place with the evolution of heat is called a/an (A) Reversible reaction (B) Endothermic reaction (C) Thermal reaction (D) Exothermic reaction
Rift valleys and Horsts are the results of 1 Faulting 2 Folding 3 Mass movement 4 Warping
Where is central Rice Research Institute located.
Which of the following is not a product from Dabur? 1 Real Juice 2 Vatika Shampoo 3 Sona Chandi Chyawanprash 4 Amla Hair Oil
. The earliest evidence of silver in India is found in the (a) Harappan culture (b) Chalcolithic cultures of Western India (c) Vedic texts (d) Silver punch-marked coins
The national maritime zones of India cover an area of approximately: (a) 3 lakh sq km (b) 200 lakh sq km (c) 130 lakh sq km (d) 28 lakh sq km
The winter rains in north-western India are caused by the 1 Westerly depressions 2 Retreating monsoon 3 Trade winds 4 South-westerly monsoon