Topic :: Equation

Equation Interview Questions
Questions Answers Views Company eMail

ACCOUNTING AND FINANCIAL ENGINEERING - EXAMPLE 34.13 : (i) In the Present Value Multiplication Rule, let PV = present value, Ra = interest rate for first discount, A = duration for first discount; Rc = interest rate for second discount, C = duration for second discount. Let PV = [ 1 / (1 + Ra) ^ A ] [ 1 / (1 + Rc) ^ C ] where ^ is the symbol of power : 3 ^ 2 = 3 x 3, 2 ^ 3 = 2 x 2 x 2. (a) For discounts involving 8 % / year for 3 years and 10 % / year for 9 years, find the value of PV. (b) If Re = interest rate for third discount, E = duration of third discount, form a mathematical equation of PV as a function of A, C, E, Ra, Rc, Re. Note : Discounts are available in the purchase of certain biochemical engineering instruments. (ii) Let R = nominal interest rate related to growth rate of money, r = real interest rate related to growth rate of purchase power. If I = inflation, where the unit of R, r and I is %, find the mathematical relatonship of r as a function of R and I.

1 1360

ACCOUNTING AND FINANCIAL ENGINEERING - EXAMPLE 34.13 (CORRECTION) : (i) In the Present Value Multiplication Rule, let PV = present value, Ra = interest rate for first discount, A = duration for first discount; Rc = interest rate for second discount, C = duration for second discount. Let PV = [ 1 / (1 + Ra) ^ A ] [ 1 / (1 + Rc) ^ C ] where ^ is the symbol of power : 3 ^ 2 = 3 x 3, 2 ^ 3 = 2 x 2 x 2. (a) For discounts involving 8 % / year for 3 years and 10 % / year for 9 years, find the value of PV. (b) If Re = interest rate for third discount, E = duration of third discount, form a mathematical equation of PV as a function of A, C, E, Ra, Rc, Re. Note : Discounts are available in the purchase of certain biochemical engineering instruments. (ii) Let R = nominal interest rate related to growth rate of money, r = real interest rate related to growth rate of purchase power. If I = inflation, where the unit of R, r and I is %, find the mathematical relationship of r as a function of R and I.

1 1225

ACCOUNTING AND FINANCIAL ENGINEERING - EXAMPLE 34.15 : Based on Time Discounting of Money, let y = x / (1 + r) ^ n, where ^ = power, r = interest rate for the period in decimal value, n = number of periods, y = current value, x = future value. According to Present Value Addition Rule, the present value of a set of future payments is equal to sum for present value of each of the payments. In an engineering business, 3 future payments are to be made : $100 after 1 year; $500 after 2 years; $200 after 3 years. (a) Form an equation of y as a function of r. (b) Find the value of y in 5 decimal places if r = 8 %.

1 1260

ACCOUNTING AND FINANCIAL ENGINEERING - EXAMPLE 34.18 : An investor is planning to purchase a small office for biochemical engineering consultancy on loan. In the calculation of the discount of payment in arrears, the following formula is used : y = 1 / (1 + r) ^ 1 + 1 / (1 + r) ^ 2 + 1 / (1 + r) ^ 3 + ... + 1 / (1 + r) ^ n where y = present value, r = interest rate of discount, n = number of payment, ^ = power used in certain computer languages for mathematics. (a) What is the meaning of : arrears? (b) Find a mathematical equation of y (1 + r). (c) Calculate, in less than 3 terms, y as a function of r and n.

1 1322

ACCOUNTING AND FINANCIAL ENGINEERING - EXAMPLE 34.20 : Assume an engineer buys a $1 bond in period T while the nominal interest rate is R. The inflation rate at T + 1 is anticipated to be I. (a) If the bond is redeemed in period T + 1, how much money will the buyer engineer receive, in term of R, which is not affected by inflation? (b) Find the present value, PV of the proceeds from the bond, in term of R and I. (c) If the bond is redeemed in period T + 1, calculate the real growth or real value of the money that the buyer engineer will receive, in term of r = real interest rate, which is affected by inflation. (d) From the answers in (b) and (c), find the values of x, y and z in the following Fisher equation : (1 + x) = (1 + y) / (1 + z), in term of r, R and I.

1 1298

ACCOUNTING AND FINANCIAL ENGINEERING - EXAMPLE 34.21 : The cost of building a biochemical processing plant is increasing due to inflation. Let I = inflation rate, R = nominal interest rate, r = real interest rate. According to Fisher Equation, (1 + r)(1 + I) = (1 + R). According to General Inflation Equation, R = r + I. (a) By assuming that both r and I are fairly small, prove by mathematical calculations that complicated Fisher Equation could be simplified into the General Inflation Equation. (b) By using 2 first order Taylor expansions in the linear approximation, namely 1 / (1 + x) ≈ (1 - x), (1 + x)(1 + y) ≈ 1 + x + y, show by mathematical calculations that (1 + r) = (1 + R) / (1 + I) could be approximated by r ≈ R - I.

1 1322

ACCOUNTING AND FINANCIAL ENGINEERING - EXAMPLE 34.22 : An engineering company intends to produce a small piece of biochemical instrument for sales. Let A = overall fixed cost of production, B = variable cost of production per unit, C = selling price per unit, D = quantity of unit produced. Breakeven Analysis is used where revenue = cost. (a) Explain the role of Breakeven Analysis by using A, B, C and D. (b) Find the value of Contribution Margin in term of A, B, C and / or D. (c) At the breakeven point where revenue = cost, derive an equation of D as a function of A, B and C.

1 1307

In accounting equation what is the treatment of investment in shares??

ACCOUNTING AND FINANCIAL ENGINEERING - EXAMPLE 34.32 : In the calculation of the total cost of production of an engineering material, a linear equation Y = MX + C could be applied. Let T = total cost, F = fixed cost, V = variable cost, Q = quantity produced, W = variable cost per unit produced. Form a linear equation that relates : (a) T, F and V; (b) V, Q and W.

1 1349

the graph was given.the x and y axes were there.the line is intersecting them.the points of intersection were y=3,x=0 and x=-2,y=0.write the equation of line.

Accenture,

In the given quadratic equation, mx2+nx+o=0 .If the ratio of the sum of the roots and the product of roots is 2:7, what can be possible values of b and c?

Cap Gemini,

The minimum token cost is Rs. 100, which grants the token holder to travel up to a distance of 10 miles. And for every additional mile travelled, the charge is Rs. 10. A minimum luggage weight of 10 kg is not charged, after which it is charged at Rs. 1 per kg. During a specific journey, suppose you carry a weight of 'k' kg, and a distance of 'p' miles is travelled, which equation will indicate the correct total charge to be paid by the traveller?

Cap Gemini,

solution of system of equations y-z=0,x+8y=4,3x+4y=7z is

DSQ Software,

13_46_8_180_210_75 = 64 . Use + and – in the empty places to make the equation holds good. Take m = number of + and n = number of – . Find m – n?

Infosys,

Explain principal components analysis with equations.

Uber,