I attended an interview recently.
I was asked the following question
Assuming that I am Test Manager.
There are 20 resources out of which
12 are manual testers,
5 automation testers and
3 performance testers.
There are a bunch of projects to be tested in the
organisation, the projects belong to various technologies,
20% of projects in Java,
20% of projects in SAP,
30% of projects in .NET,
30% of projects in C#
What is your approach as Test Manager in testing?
Pls let me know your approach on this.
Answers were Sorted based on User's Feedback
Answer / k.sateesh
Its all depends on the percentage of testing you have to
cover in the specified projects.
And there are 3 priorities
1. you need to allocate the people according to the project
2.According to the percentage of testing in a particular
3.According to the tester experience in the particular
|Is This Answer Correct ?||15 Yes||3 No|
Answer / hanumant raut
There is no fix formula for resource allocation for the
project. Projects mentioned here are to be built on various
technologies hence testing requirements will also vary. For
example: Web base applications and SAP applications
generally require performance testing hence performance
testers will be utilized in such project. Every project will
have its own testing strategy as well as deadline and based
on this information resource allocation could be decided.
Priority of resource allocation will also change considering
nature of business with client, project's long term
perspective, technical and domain skills required for
|Is This Answer Correct ?||6 Yes||0 No|
Answer / vivek
Testing any Software Application does not really depend on
Technology in which it is developed, but it has to do more
with Functional and domain aspects.The approach should be
to identify the resources who has worked in there previous
project in the specific functional area where this kind of
projects are developed and allocate same resource.All the
projects that are develped in various technologies will
have some GUI, which will have its own functional area,
here importance should be given to focus on complex areas
of System application and its prioritization,keeping
customer view point and its usage in Realtime scenarios.
|Is This Answer Correct ?||6 Yes||0 No|
Answer / ssuggu
I would agree with some of the comments made by friends in the trail.
As a black box tester one should not bother about technology in detail, his focus should be on functional behaviour.
To answer above question;
1. All projects would need manual effort so assign resources based on thumb rule of project management TIME, COST & SCOPE There is not fixed distribution of resources.
2. Assign automation if its a long term project and regular releases and regression is required. Also look at the budget for automation exists
3. Performance is something, which has become implicit for all projects now a days. If not extensive but basic performance counters needs to be validated before making it to production. Again pick up thumb rule to assign resources. For ex: Lets say C# project is desktop application and users are limited to access and rest applications are user heavy so prioritize those first, then think about SCOPE, then TIME & then COST (assuming COST is accounted as performance requirement is implicit)
|Is This Answer Correct ?||5 Yes||0 No|
It depends upon the man power and
experiences of testers. You need to appointment the right
candidate with good experience & hardworking person. Those
can give their effort in the project.
1.They should have good knowledge with hands of experience
in short time.
2.They have to understand the process & has to act accordingly.
3. And you need to follow the v-v model so that nobody can
4. You need to say them, they have to finish the project in
specific time & cost.
|Is This Answer Correct ?||1 Yes||4 No|
Answer / allwin
It is depends all about the project functionalities and
experiences of testers.
1. Allocate the peoples those who are having more
experience, in large functional projects
2. Allocate the peoples those who are strong i domain
knowledge must put in their respective domains projects.
|Is This Answer Correct ?||0 Yes||5 No|
What are the advantages of SCSI compared to ATA or IDE ?
What is depth testing?
What is path testing?
At what phase tester role starts?
What is the one key reason why developers have difficulty testing their own work?
Please any one could u please tell me what is CLOAS life insurance?its urgent, thanks advance.
A testing process that exercises a software system's coexistence with others by taking multiple integrated systems that have passed system testing as input and tests their required interactions.
Given alone a functional specification docs if a test plan is to be prepared without any prototype and the product or the appli is to be delivered within 10 days ..How to prepare test plan and prepare test cases ? Cheers, Amar.gp
How to hack someone's yahoo or gmail account? what can be the test cases for the same.
what is sdlc(Software development proces and stages of sdlc)..?
Explain black-box testing?