There is 7 types of encoder:-
(1) Rotary encoder or Shaft encoder :- An Electro-
Mechanical device which converts the angular position of
shaft or axel to an analog or digital code, making it
(2) Incremental Encoder :- It is sometimes called a
(3) Absolute Position encoder :- These are used to generate
an electrical signal that indicates absolute machanical
position, or an incremental mechanical movement relative to
a refrence position.
(4) Quadrature Encoder :- the most common type of
inremental encoder uses 2 output channel (A and B) to sence
(5) Linear Encoder :- it is a sensor, transducer or
readhead paired with scale that encodes position.
(6) Open Collector Encoder :- the encoder supplied is
equipped with an npn open collector configuration which if
wired direct to counter module would require the counter
module to source current.
Will measure the position of a shaft for single rotation.
the same shaft angle will produce same reading.
# Output of encoder is gray code or binary code.
Incremental encoder: (relativ encoder)
Will give two output pulse, that can be used to measure
# logic gates and software used to determine rotation
and count pulses to determine the displacement. the
velocity can be determined time between the pulses.