Ans: ( D ) Knowledge
(D) Past tense of go
Ans: ( A ) Opening
(A) Praise inordinately
(C) To preach noisily
(D) To scream
Ans: ( C ) To preach noisily
(A) To soothe
Ans: ( B ) Merge
Directions (Qs. 106 to 200) : In each of the sentences
given below a word is printed in bold. Below it four
choices are given. Pick up the one which is most nearly the
SAME in meaning as the word printed in bold and can replaces
it without altering the meaning of the sentence.
106. When youngsters do not have good role-models to emulate
they start search in for them amongst Sportsmen or Filmstars.
Ans: ( A ) imitate
107. The aberration in the India Economy can be attributed
to short-sightedness of it political masters.
Ans: ( C ) Deviation
108. The claims of students look hollow when they attribute
their poor performance to difficulty of examination.
Ans: ( B ) impute
109. As soon as he finished his speech, there was
spontaneous applause from the audience.
Ans: ( C ) instinctive
110. The soldier proved his mettle in the battlefield.
(B) stamina and strength
(C) courage and endurance
Ans: ( C ) courage and endurance
111. He listened to my request with indifference.
Ans: ( A ) disinterest
112. The accident occurred due to his lapse.
Ans: ( C ) error
113. Being a member of this Club, he has certain rights.
Ans: ( D ) privileges
114. He is averse to the idea of holding elections now.
Ans: ( D ) opposed
115. Silence is mandatory for meditation to be effective.
Ans: ( A ) compulsory
116. The underworld still makes solid profit out of illicit
Ans: ( C ) illegal
117. When I look back over the wartime years I cannot help
feeling that time is an inadequate and even capricious
measure of their duration at one moment they seem so long,
at another so short.
Ans: ( B ) whimsical
118. The tablet alleviated the pain, and the patient was
soon feeling much better.
Ans: ( A ) mitigated
119. The leader nodded his approbation
Ans: ( B ) approval
120. We should always try to maintain and promote communal
Ans: ( C ) friendship
121. Many species of animals have become extinct during the
last hundred years.
Ans: ( B ) non-existent
122. True religion does not require one to proselytize
through guile or force.
Ans: ( D ) convert
123. That the plan is both inhuman and preposterous needs no
Ans: ( C ) absurd
124. She baffled all our attempts to find her.
Ans: ( C ) foiled
125. Instead of putting up a united front against of common
enemy, the medieval states frittered away their energy in
(A) mutually destructive
Ans: ( A ) mutually destructive
126. The bullet wound proved to be fatal and the soldier
Ans: ( D ) deadly
127. Whatever opinion he gives is sane.
Ans: ( A ) rational
128. He corroborated the statement of his brother.
Ans: ( A ) confirmed
129. Whatever the verdict of history may be, chaplin will
occupy a unique place in its pages.
Ans: ( A ) judgement
130. The attitude of the Western countries towards the Third
World countries is rather callous to say the least.
Ans: ( D ) unfeeling
131. The story is too fantastic to be credible.
Ans: ( A ) believable
132. Catching snakes can be hazardous for people untrained
in the art.
Ans: ( D ) dangerous
133. After the dismal performance of the team in the series
concluded yesterday, the captain offered his resignation to
the president of the club.
Ans: ( A ) poor
134. The small boy was able to give a graphic description of
Ans: ( C ) vivid
135. The prisoner has been languishing in the jail for the
last many years.
Ans: ( B ) suffering
136. Some of the Asian countries have been enmeshed in an
inescapable debt trap.
Ans: ( A ) entagled
137. In spite of their efforts, the team of scientists could
not make much headway to solve the problem.
Ans: ( A ) progress
138. On scrutiny the police officer found out that the
documents provided by the landlord were totally fabricated.
Ans: ( A ) forged
139. The soldier displayed exceptional courage and saved the
Major from the enemy?s hand.
Ans: ( B ) unusual
140. He found a lucrative assignment.
Ans: ( B ) profitable
141. The novel was so interesting that I was oblivious of my
Ans: ( B ) unmindful
142. The great dancer impressed the appreciative crowd by
his nimble movements.
Ans: ( C ) quickening
143. The president of the party deprecated the move of the
Government to introduce electoral reforms in a haste.
Ans: ( C ) protested
144. It took him a long time to come round after the operation.
Ans: ( A ) recover
145. Few teachers have been spared the problem of an
obstreperous pupil in the class.
Ans: ( B ) unruly
146. His visit to foreign countries brought about a
sea-change in his outlook and his attitude to people.
(A) complete change
(B) partial change
(C) favourable change
(D) unfavourable change
Ans: ( A ) complete change
147. Swift is known in the world of letters for his misogynism.
(A) hate for mankind
(B) hate for womankind
(C) love for the reasonable
(D) love for womankind
Ans: ( B ) hate for womankind
148. He was warned at the outset of his career.
Ans: ( B ) beginning
149. The time I spent in the library was a most rewarding one.
Ans: ( A ) profitable
150. That young is quite sanguine about the result of his
Ans: ( D ) optimistic
151. The courage shown by the soldiers at this moment of
crisis is exemplary.
Ans: ( D ) admirable
152. The notice said that the meeting would begin precisely
at 9:30 a.m.
Ans: ( B ) exactly
153. The inspector was a vigilant young man.
Ans: ( C ) watchful
154. A rupture in the relationship of the two brothers is
Ans: ( A ) break
155. ?I have learnt a great deal working in factories, and
for a time I?ve been a weaver. Here are my tetstimonials,
Ans: ( D ) credentials
156. The prince fell in love with a comely young maiden.
Ans: ( B ) pretty
157. Lack of occupation is not necessarily revealed by
(A) easily perceived
(B) easily acquired
(C) easily infected
(D) easily deflected
Ans: ( A ) easily perceived
158. Even today many people are guided by obstruse moral values
Ans: ( C ) obscure
159. Sunlight and shadow made the landscape a kaleidoscope
(A) tube containing mirrors and loose pieces of coloured glass
(B) frequently changing pattern of bright scenes
(C) a mixture of black and white
(D) resembling the seven colours
Ans: ( B ) frequently changing pattern of bright scenes
160. A person unrestrained by the rules of morality or
tradition is called a licentious person.
Ans: ( A ) libertine
161. She has an insatiable love for music.
Ans: ( A ) unsatisfiable
162. The recent acts of vandalism in the country cannot be
Ans: ( D ) violence
163. When he returned he was accompanied by a sprightly
Ans: ( B ) lively
164. I wrote to him as lately as last week
Ans: ( C ) recently
165. The international community may begin to doubt the
credentials of the largest democracy in the world.
(C) capacity to return loans
Ans: ( D ) trustworthiness
166. The indiscriminate demand for mass consumption goods is
Ans: ( B ) undifferentiated
167. The general policies will relieve the sufferings of the
Ans: ( A ) alleviate
168. They were totally unware of the impending disaster.
Ans: ( B ) imminent
169. His style is quite transparent.
Ans: ( C ) lucid
170. When the police questioned him, he gave very incoherent
answer at first.
Ans: ( B ) inconsistent
171. Japan has been very much eulogisted in this book.
Ans: ( B ) praised
172. I don?t like alien fashions.
Ans: ( D ) exotic
173. The visitor had a bohemian look.
Ans: ( B ) unconventional
174. That great artist?s life was full of vicissitudes.
Ans: ( C ) changes
175. This young man appears to be quite headstrong.
Ans: ( B ) obstinate
176. Only those who are guillible take every advertisement
Ans: ( C ) unsuspecting
177. As the driver was inebriated he could not control the car.
Ans: ( D ) intoxicated
178. They feel that we should be fully aware of our own
Ans: ( D ) surroundings
179. Everyone was listening to the news of earthquake with
Ans: ( C ) uneasiness
180. Manish neglected to remit the fees in time and
therefore had to pay a fine.
Ans: ( B ) failed
181. The poem is written in a very lucid style.
Ans: ( B ) clear
182. We didn?t believe in his statement, but subsequent
events proved that he was right.
Ans: ( A ) later
183. All the characters in the novel are fictitious.
Ans: ( D ) unreal
184. The pioneers left a blazing trail of courage, manliness
Ans: ( D ) settlers
185. Even though singing of ballads is no longer lucrative
the Bhopas of Rajasthan continue to sing them in order to
cherish the memory of their royal warriors.
Ans: ( C ) profitable
186. When he could not endure the cruel ragging any longer,
the new recruit bravely stood up to all his bullying seniors.
(B) fought back
Ans: ( C ) resisted
187. The angry villagers have lynched two suspected
(A) beaten up
Ans: ( C ) killed
188. The thief outwitted the constable on some pretext and
disappeared on the way to the police station.
Ans: ( A ) defeated
189. Public figures should not indulge in mud-slinging.
Ans: ( C ) slander
190. Some people just cannot compromise where truth is
Ans: ( A ) adjust
191. Traffic being what it is, it is lamentable that our
roads are unable to take the load.
Ans: ( B ) deplorable
192. It is very difficult to retain all that you hear in the
Ans: ( A ) keep
193. Everybody likes him because he is an industrious student.
Ans: ( D ) diligent
194. No one will invite her to a tea part for she is so
(A) talks a lot
(B) Giggles all the time
(C) laughs a lot
(D) repeats gossip
Ans: ( A ) talks a lot
195. He has a propensity for getting into debt.
(A) natural tendency
Ans: ( A ) natural tendency
196. It is a scandal that the murder was declared innocent.
(A) silly notion
(D) disgraceful action
Ans: ( D ) disgraceful action
197. Incensed by his rude behaviour, the Manager suspended
Ans: ( C ) enraged
198. The invasion force had no artillery and was completely
Ans: ( C ) destroyed
199. The base of Indian politicians is the group of
sycophants around them who earn bad name for their leaders.
Ans: ( C ) flatterers
200. The benevolence of the God of Rain has been a very
successful monsoon this year too.
Ans: ( B ) kindness
Is This Answer Correct ?
Other SSC General Studies Interview Questions
What was main industry in India during the time of
Which of the following is the middle level of the
three-level structure of Cooperative Banks in India?
(a) State Cooperative Bank
(b) Central Cooperative Bank
(c) Primary Agricultural-Credit Society
(d) State Bank of India
A and B, working separately, can do a piece of work in 10
and 15 days respectively. If they work on alternate days
beginning with A, then in how many days will the work be
(a) 18 days
(b) 13 days
(c) 12 days
(d) 6 days
Read The following information to answer this question :
(i) A B C D E F are six family members
(ii) There is one Doctor, one Lawyer, one Engineer, one
Pilot, one Student and one Housewife.
(iii) There are two married couples in the family.
(iv) F, who is a Lawyer, is the father of A.
(v) B is a Pilot and is mother of C.
(vi) D is grandmother of C and is a housewife.
(vii) E is father of F and is a Doctor.
(viii) C is brother of A.
How many female members are there in the family?